Dear Spirit Song,
An editorial in Sunday’s StarTribune began:
“Some Minnesotans are visiting nursing home residents from outside through their windows. Others are organizing singalongs at safe distances and online to emphasize a sense of community and raise spirits. Still more caring souls are delivering food and supplies to the most vulnerable. Those are among the ways people are helping one another during the COVID-19 Crisis. . . “ I don’t know about you, but that did my heart good. As we journey together through this unchartered territory, the board and I met today, via Zoom meeting, to consider two questions:
- How can we best support our Spirit Song Community during this time?
- How can Spirit Song continue it’s mission during this time?
The simple fact that we could see each other’s faces and hear each other’s voices was incredibly joyful! We have missed each other! We had a full and rich conversation, which began with simply checking in with one another. We then explored these two big questions. . . Here’s what we are proposing, as a place to begin. . some of these things have already started, and others are ideas we think will work:
Spirit Song Choir Community Life:
- 6:00 Sing Alongs! Face book live!
- My good friend Bonnie always says you need to “sing a song a day!”
- Go to our Spirit Song Choir face book page at 6:00 each evening and sing along!
- Post or email any song requests
- Let me know if you’d like to lead a song!
- Prayer requests on our Spirit Song Choir facebook page.
This is a way for us to share our prayer requests and pray as community. . .
- Choir Buddies:
During this time when we are needing to be physically distant, we want to make sure that we all stay connected as community. We’re proposing a “Choir Buddies” initiative. Folks will be paired up with another choir member, and we’ll get you in touch with each other. If you want to participate, simply let me know and we’ll start pairing you up! The idea is that you simply check in with each other regularly, by text, phone, or email. . . you can take it from there. . .
- Are you in need of help or support of any kind right now?
Please send me a confidential email and we’ll see what we can do!
We are part of a beautiful, caring community here.
We need to take care of one another. . .
- Thursday’s rehearsal at 7:00:
We are excited to begin using Zoom for our virtual rehearsals
Watch for an email invitation to this gathering!
(Note: I am not tech savvy and it was not difficult to navigate.)
While actually singing together isn’t possible, for a variety of reasons, we will use this time to gather, and be present to one another as community, and pray together.
I’ll continue to send out rehearsal plans. . and there are lots of tracks for you to use to continue to practice your parts! Set aside a practice time, and get busy singing.
Spirit Song Choir Service Opportunities:
- Christian Cupboard Emergency Food Shelf:
The need is huge and growing.
If you can contribute financially, that is the best thing to do. . go to their website.
Donations are going out as fast as they are coming in!
They are also in need of paper grocery bags
- Sing a song with a resident over the phone: Stonecrest would love to have singers who are comfortable singing alone, call residents and sing a song or two with them. I’m sure they’d enjoy chatting a bit, as well. If you are up for this, please let me know. Peg is working with Renee at Stonecrest to work out the logistics. Thank you Peg!
- Send Cheery letters or cards to residents at St. Therese and Stonecrest.
St. Therese is also requesting some craft supplies
- Sew masks: St. Therese, Woodbury Estates and Allina Hospitals are all requesting these. .
If you need more details on this, please send a quick message!
If you have fabric, 1/8” and ¼” elastic, thread. . . let me know!
There is a shortage of elastic, so if you’ve got some, there’s a need!
We closed our meeting today in prayer, for the needs of the world, and for all of you, our beloved Spirit Song Community. Know that you are in our hearts and prayers daily, as we journey together.
Peace and Blessings,